I’ve got to thank Rich over at Sunday Night Blog for nominating me for the Super Sweet Blogger Award…formally. I have thanked him informally via another post My Life in 2012: Rock on 2013 but I promised to do it properly later and later is today.
Firstly I’d like to take a minute to address these awards that we so frequently award one another. Are they just thinly disguised self promotion? After all the first of any rule dealing with the acceptance of any award is always to thank the person nominating you and to link back to their site.
So perhaps they are. But, is that a bad thing? In my honest opinion no, we all need to support the blogging community and in doing so elevate our own blog in the process. Almost all the rules for these awards include telling your readers interesting (hopefully) things about you the blogger. Things that (again hopefully) will help the community understand you and your “style” a bit better. This is another way of self promoting, but as I have said before, it is not a bad thing.
If people like your blog, they want to see who you read and follow. This will not only introduce them to more bloggers, but it will also give them an idea of your interests which may, or may not, give them a better picture of you. I have always maintained that the award system is a bit of fun; a chance to “share the wealth” as it were.
Because blogging is not just about the writing, the pictures, the themes or the daily challenges; (which I do not do by the way as they feel too much like high school writing assignments and I hated high school academia) it is about community and sharing ideas. Meeting new folks and finding out new styles of writing or just plain interesting viewpoints. Sometimes it’s just about being pleasantly surprised that someone else out there shares your passions or ideas.
So blogging is not just sharing your ideas and thoughts and views it’s about connecting.
I read somewhere months ago that most of these awards were “developed” for bloggers who have less than 200 followers. I am lucky, between Tumblr and WordPress (and excluding those numbers set aside for publicize) my follower count is 210 (216 if you count publicize). I look at the number of people who follow my tiny effort at communication and I am awed. Do I consider myself above the award “threshold” or too big to play? No, of course not, because then I cannot go on to include other sites in the award process and spread the love.
So, to Rich over at Sunday Night Blog I say, again, thanks mate for thinking of me when you thought about passing around the award.
Now that I have taken the longest way around the barn possible, I’ll relay the rules of this prestigious award:
1. Give credit to the person who chooses to nominate you
2. Answer the “Super Sweet” questions.
3. Nominate a “Baker’s Dozen”
The super sweet questions are:
2. Chocolate or vanilla. Chocolate every time.
3. What is your favourite sweet treat, cheesecake or frozen yoghurt? That’s a toughie…frozen yoghurt.
4.When do you crave sweet things the most? I don’t as a rule crave sweet things, but I’d have to say probably after a meal.
5. If you had a sweet nickname what would it be? Of all the people who could have a “sweet” nickname, I would not be one of them. The only ‘handle’ I’ve ever had besides my own name was Texas Ted (don’t ask, it’s a boring story).
*I will admit to cheating here. I answered these questions not too long back and after reading them again, realized that my answers would not change so I did a “cut and paste.” Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.*
Lastly, the list of the Dirty Bakers Dozen (sorry I could not resist): *I must confess to another “cheat” here, in an effort to be “fair” I am submitting the last thirteen folks who followed my little blog. Any other way would drive me to distraction.*
If you are on my list and you want to accept the award in the spirit in which it given, just follow the rules and you can then post the award to your site. Until we blog again…
- Super Sweet Blogging Award…Up! Up! And Away! (mikesfilmtalk.com)
- Blog of the Year 2012: My Cup Runneth Over with Stars (mikesfilmtalk.com)
- Sisterhood of Blogging Award (theworldaccordingtolisalday.com)
- Very Inspiring Blogger Award (katrinasworks.com)
- thank you blogger friends and happy new year! (starlight427.wordpress.com)
- A Thanksgiving Feast of Super Sweet Bloggers! (misifusa.wordpress.com)
- Very Inspiring Blog Award! (indigeneart.com)
- Beautiful Blogger Award!!! (milkshakesinspring.wordpress.com)
- The Beautiful Blogger Award! (gegallas.wordpress.com)
- Beautiful Blogger Award (honestlyb.com)