Edited by Alexander S. Brown and J. L. Mulvihill; illustrated by Robert K and published by Seventh Star Press, this anthology of 16 ghostly tales range from Missouri to Louisiana and use real life locations to start each story off.
While some of the stories are not as entertaining as others, the introduction to new authors is an overall treat. I also liked the different types of ghost stories on offer. Each is an original take on already infamous buildings, roads, and areas filled with southern spooks and legends.
You won’t meet any chain rattling spooks or moaning ghouls a la Dickens, but you will find a very disparate group of hauntings in this “Down South” multi-locational collection of short stories.
You’ll be introduced to the soothing, healing bath houses of Hot Springs, Arkansas where you’d be wise to avoid one house in particular. [Bath 10]
There is a job opening for a new ghost hunter on an existing team that you may want to pass on to some other job seeking applicant.[Interview for a Ghost Hunter]
And there’s a certain Civil War hospital you wouldn’t want to check into. [The Top Floor]
Southern Haunts is just one of several anthologies on offer at the moment that give us a view of what lies out there just waiting for us to discover it. It is full of variety and has something in it that should appeal to everyone who loves this genre.
This book is available on Amazon.com and other booksellers.
A 4 out of 5 stars for me based just on the variety and the setting. I am, after all, a southern boy who loves his southern ghosts!
- True Haunting by Edwin F Becker: Hair Raising Experience (mikesfilmtalk.com)
- Haunted (athingforwordsjahesch.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Haunted Hotels (neatorama.com)
- Haunted Texas (southerngoddessparanormal.wordpress.com)
- I Believe in Ghosts (darklingplains.wordpress.com)
- HAUNTED The Ghosts that Share Our World by John Pinkney (mikesfilmtalk.com)
- Haunted libraries: spooks in the stacks (spookythingsonline.wordpress.com)
- Michael Jackson’s Ghost Haunts Childhood Home (mosvinbami.com)