To paraphrase the 1976 film Network and character Howard Beale’s impassioned speech (played by Peter Finch); Tom Cruise is “Mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore.” The mega-film star is angry at allegations that he has “abandoned” his daughter Suri and his court deposition against the publications that made the claim seem to show the star is losing his grip on reality.
Is it really a surprise that Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise have split? This May December romance seemed doomed from the start. What’s really surprising is that they lasted five years. It also seems to be following a sort of formula. One that says, the younger the wife, the quicker the split.
We can all remember Tom Cruise on the Oprah show, jumping up and down in adolescent-like glee and shouting to the world that he was in love! All done while he happily showed off the new braces on his teeth. But I honestly don’t believe the split was caused by Tom’s regression into a second childhood. I think the answer may lie somewhere between the Church of Scientology and Katie’s age.
Now it is a well known secret that the Church of Scientology has a congregation whose yearly income could place them firmly in the Forbes listing of top earners of the world. They are also more well known for being a little…odd. I can’t speculate on either of those two ‘secrets’ but I do know that there have been reports of Katie being followed by mysterious men and cars.
There has been speculation that Katie is tired of being under Tom’s thumb (you see what I did there?) and that she is anxious to win her freedom and custody of their other little one, Suri. There have been reports that Tom doesn’t believe in disciplining Suri and that Katie doesn’t like it. But all these are just speculation.
I have a feeling that Numerology might play a big role in this bust up. All of Tom’s ex-spouses (well two to be exact, but soon to be three) had reached the age of 33 when they left or were booted out. Could it be that 33 is an incredibly unlucky number for Cruise? Is it part of some Numerological calculation that ensures that 33 really equals 666?
I believe that the Numerology theory carries about as much weight as the Scientology theory. A lot of folks are saying that Katie is doing a ‘Nicole Kidman‘ and getting out of the marriage in order to save her floundering career. Really? The very fact that the two actresses are in completely different leagues kind of negates that theory. Nicole Kidman was a ‘heavyweight’ from the start, Katie has always been more of a ‘middleweight’, working steadily but not garnering the type of reviews that Ms Kidman regularly receives.
Most likely the real reason for the split does centre around the age issue. I think Katie has grown up and Tom is still in second childhood territory.
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing (popsugar.com)
- Church of Scientology keeping tabs on Katie? – New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)
- Is the Church of Scientology Having Katie Holmes Followed? (gawker.com)
- Marriage: Impossible (theage.com.au)
- TomKat’s Final Straw: Katie Did NOT Want Suri Sent On Some Scientology Cruise (perezhilton.com)
- Tom Cruise Marriages End When Wives Are 33, Scientology Established On 33rd Parallel! (perezhilton.com)
- Katie Holmes Doesn’t Want Suri Raised in Scientology? (celebs.gather.com)
- Katie Holmes fears Scientologists have hired private investigators to spy on her (thesun.co.uk)
- Did Scientology drive Katie Holmes to divorce Tom Cruise? (video) (vancouversun.com)
- KATIE HOLMES: Scientologists Are Now Watching Me (businessinsider.com)
- Tom Cruise – Murdoch Attacks ‘evil’ Scientologists Over Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes Split (contactmusic.com)
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorcing (onlineathens.com)
- 17 Things Just As Predictable As Katie Holmes And Tom Cruise Divorcing (buzzfeed.com)