Now that Justin Bieber has managed to make himself pretty much persona non grata in the borders of the U.S. he headed over to the Cannes Film Festival and he even got to meet Jennifer Lawrence. While Rolling Stone have been speaking to Epic Records chief L.A. Reid about Bieber doing a collaboration with the late Michael Jackson on an upcoming track, the 20 year-old pop star headed over to France to rub shoulders with real film stars.
His fans were shocked, saddened and (let’s face it) heartbroken. No more awesome to the extreme Jackie Chan stunts? No more brilliantly choreographed fight scenes? No chance for a Jet Li Jackie Chan film again…ever??
Almost as famous as Jackie’s stunt work is his ‘non-command’ of the English language. Over the years we have seen, in just the out-takes of his films, the problem he has with English. It is often hilarious, or at least it seems so when we see Jackie ‘creasing up’ at his verbal faux pa’s.
When Jackie realised what the world thought he said, he immediately posted on his facebook page what he had really meant:
“Hello all my friends and fans,
Yesterday in my press conference in Cannes for Chinese 12 Zodiac I said that this movie was my last big action movie.
Today I was shocked when I woke up to read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing Action movies.
I just want to let everyone know that I am not retiring from doing action movies. What I meant to say is that I need to do less of the life risking stunts on my movies. After all these years of doing so many stunts and breaking so many bones, I need to take better care of my body so I can keep working.
I will continue to do international action movies.
And I will keep improving my English
A special thanks to Nerdjunkies.com for initially breaking the news of Jackies ‘retirement‘ from action films and then updating the status to fans of Jackie. For the original feature go to http://nerdjunkies.com/2012/05/jackie-chan-is-retiring-from-action-movies/#.T-Gx6xfY-So and they have included some of their fave footage of Jackie.
To say I am relieved is the understatement of the century. I have been a fan of Jackie’s for years. I think that his stunt-work and his fight choreography are in a category so far above the standard that there should be a category of film awards called: The Jackie Chan Award for Stunt Choreography.
Just my own humble opinion, but…
- Cannes 2012: Jackie Chan to retire from action movies (telegraph.co.uk)
- Top 10 Jackie Chan Fight Scenes in Honor of His Retirement from Action Films (kineda.com)
- Jackie Chan Retires From Action, Saying He’s Too Old For Stunts In Today’s “Violent” World (manolith.com)
- Jackie Chan is Retiring From Action Movies (nerdjunkies.com)
- Jackie Chan Has (Not) Made His Last Action Film (entertainment.time.com)
- Jackie Chan’s last action movie looks like the most fun he’s been in years [Video] (io9.com)
- Jackie Chan To Quit Acting in Action Movies (luchidotcom.wordpress.com)
- Humanitarian Jackie Chan denies rumors he is quitting show business for charity (examiner.com)
- Twins Effect (2003) AKA Vampire Effect: Pop Goes the Vampire (mikesfilmtalk.com)