Love Is Strange has John Lithgow and Alfred Molina as two gay men in a senior citizen romance that goes sour once it has been made official. To be fair, only Lithgow’s character is really a senior citizen – in real life at age 69 – Molina is just under at 61. The two award winning actors play Ben and George. The men have been partners for 39 years and after all that time the two decide to tie the knot and get married. The idea, although not mentioned in the film, must have come from the recent legalization of same sex marriage in New York.
My take on the new animated Western – Rango…Brilliant! Sorry about the weird colour thing going on here…poxy computer!
This review is over 2 years old, and on another computer. Enjoy!
It’s that time of the, uh….week….again. I’ve been very kindly nominated for (and graciously accept) The Liebster Award. The kind soul who nominated me was the most excellent Tyson Carter over at Head In A Vice. And just to reiterate Tyson, thanks for thinking of me and my little site!
Now, as is the custom for these award nominations and the ‘penalty’ for accepting (I am joking here by the way, it’s not really a penalty, it’s just a bit of fun) I need to present the rules and my nominations for this award.
As I said in the above paragraph, these awards are just a bit of fun and as Tyson so eloquently put it in his own recipient spiel, ‘These awards are just a bit of fun and are really about shedding some light on the community and getting to know more about the folks who populate it [sic]’. They do have a sort of ‘chain’ letter feel to them, but hey, if someone is kind enough to nominate me, the least I can do is play along.
Besides, someone else has already taken the option that I was going to try. As I like to think of myself as blazingly original, I won’t mimic them.
So the rules are:
1. Each person must post eleven things about themselves
2. Answer the eleven questions the person giving the award has set for you
3. Create eleven questions for the people you will be giving the award to
4. Choose eleven people to award and send them a link to your post
5. Go to their page and tell them
6. No tag backs
11 Things about me:
1. I am writing a book (or two) very, very slowly.
2. I am a ‘double’ divorcee.
3. I am hopelessly addicted to ‘caffeinated’ coffee.
5. My true ‘mental’ age is my real age divided by 2.
6. I once met and talked to actor Alfred Molina for five full minutes before I realised that he was the star of the film we were working on.
7. I am a Thespian (I still have the card and the membership number!)
8. I used to be afraid of heights till my daughter and my second wife got me a micro-lite flight for my 50th birthday.
9. I have wanted to be a writer since the age of eleven, I just got very distracted for a lot of years.
10. I love eggnog and would drink it every day year round if I could.
11. I love playing Modern Warfare 3, although I have to admit that any Uncharted game will knock off MW3 from the top spot of game favourites.
Now for Tyson’s Head In A Vice Questions:
Would you rather have a pet polar bear or a pet kangaroo?
Definitely a pet kangaroo, the pouch thing would be very handy.
Would you rather be a movie star or be a singer?
Movie star, hands down.
Would you rather be a vampire or a dragon?
Vampire, but not of the ‘I can stand outside in the daylight, have sparkly skin and not be full of attitude’ type. More like the Lestat type, you know, rock star cool type of vampire.
Would you rather die in the arms of your one true love or your one true love die in your arms?
This is a tough one, since I’d really not like to die at all, so I’ll have to go with my true love expiring in my arms (but only if she’s not too heavy).
Would you rather be buried alive or stabbed to death?
Buried alive, just because I think I am stubborn enough to not give up on digging myself out.
Would you rather turn invisible or go through time?
Go through time, most definitely. Getting the chance to see how
people really lived and acted back in that time known as ago.
Would you rather walk through walls or control the weather?
Control the weather. In my world, days would be filled with sunshine and the rain would be relegated to nights.
Would you rather always be hot or always be cold?
Hot. I much prefer taking things off to get comfortable versus bundling up.
Would you rather be eaten by a shark or a gorilla?
Gorilla! Because as herbivores they wouldn’t be interested in consuming my raggedy ass.
Would you rather sneeze 1000 times a day or hiccup 1000 times a day?
Hiccup. I had a friend once who collapsed a lung by holding in a sneeze…twice. I know, you would have thought he’d learned from the first incident.
The next step is the laborious (not really, it just sounds good when I put it that way) task of choosing which 11 bloggers to nominate for this prestigious award. And the bloggers are, in no particular order, as follows:
And just when you thought you weren’t going to have to read another word, here are the 11 questions. I warn you now they are a bit eclectic.
1. What is your favourite genre in film?
2. If your fairy godmother popped in to grant a wish, what would it be?
3. You’ve just been told that a huge publishing house wants to publish your work, which book would you choose to present first?
4. What has been your ‘finest’ moment? (or ‘worst’ moment if you haven’t had a finest moment yet)
5. If by law you could only ever have one pet, what would you choose?
6. What is your absolute favourite game? (it doesn’t have to be a console game)
7. What book, film, or television show first made you cry?
8. The buses have all broken down and you are three miles from your destination, what would you do?
9. If you had the option to live forever, would you take it?
10. What scares you most?
11. What is the one thing that you love the most?
And that, friends and neighbours is truly the end of this very long blog. Except of course to say that I will perfectly understand if you do not want to do any of this. Like I said at the beginning it is all just a bit of fun and helps the community know one another that little bit better.
Also I’d like to point out that if I missed your name out, I can only plead that I follow so many excellent blogs it was hard to choose just 11. So I took the cheaters way out and just randomly picked the names.
I’ll close now ( I know, I said two paragraphs ago that we’d reached the end. I lied, okay?) by thanking Tyson over at Head In A Vice once again for putting my little site into the hat.
- Liebster Award! (toughandtiny.wordpress.com)
- Liebster Blog Award (humaninrecovery.wordpress.com)
- A Blog Award, Facts, Questions and Blogs to Follow (emiliajordan.com)
- Liebster Blog Award (singleparentsthoughts.wordpress.com)
- Liebster Award (glitzgirlzglamourguide.com)
- Liebster Blog Award (terry1954.wordpress.com)
- Community of Writers (peacefulldawn.com)
- The Liebster Award (Head In A Vice)
Just when I thought it was safe to start blogging again, I got nominated by a person I nominated! So I owe a double thank you to Christopher, a self proclaimed blogging noob, over at TRUEMISTERSIX. I also have a small confession to make, I am also a noob when it comes to WordPress! I’ve been blogging for about a year and a half, but most of that was on another site.
I also have another confession to make, I don’t have a list of ten folks to nominate. Having not been on WordPress that long, I don’t follow that many people yet. So I will be nominating a lot less than ten sites. I managed to nominate ten sites the first go around and that pretty much covered my little follow list!
So here is my list of nominees:
Lord help me if I ever get tasked to nominate fifteen folks for anything!
I don’t know if there are any rules negating ‘re-nomination’ (I looked but could not find any) so I’m going to steam ahead and list the rules.
1. In a post on your blog, nominate 10 fellow bloggers for The Versatile Blogger Award; and link to them.
2. In the same post, add the Versatile Blogger Award.
3. In the same post, thank the blogger who nominated you in a post with a link back to their blog.
4. In the same post, share 10 completely random pieces of information about yourself.
5. In the same post, include this set of rules.
6. Inform each nominated blogger of their nomination by posting a comment on each of their blogs.
I also have to put the award in my post:
And last but definitely least another 10 amazing (not) facts about me:
1. I have a lot of Native American blood on both sides of my family.
2. I sang as Dean Martin as part of my act for my high school talent show.
4. I got Honourable Mention in the same talent show.
5. For about ten years I was licensed to broadcast radio from ship to shore.
6.I once talked to actor Alfred Molina for a full five minutes before I realised who he was.
7. I once, very briefly, worked with Alexis Denisof of Angel and Buffy fame.
8. I was once in the same film as Christopher Lee.
10. I did a television commercial in 1989 that was seen all over America and none of my family realised it was me.
And that, as they say, is that except to thank Christopher again for my re-nomination and to message the remaining folks I’ve nominated.
I was sitting in the “supporting artists” double decker bus on the first floor (that’s the top of the bus if you’re from the USA). I was doing what I always did when I wasn’t watching how the magic was made. I was reading a paperback book. I was thoroughly engrossed in the story when a face appeared at the top of the bus steps. “Excuse me, but have you seen our illustrious director?” I looked up from my book blinking and trying to re-focus my eyes and saw the face and shoulders of a young dark complexioned man. I have to admit that at the time I did not recognise him as the star of the feature we were working on. I gave a shrug and looked around the bus’s interior as if to say, here?? Alfred then laughingly said “Oh silly me, whatever was I thinking. Well thanks anyway. Oh and if you happen to see him can you tell him I’m looking for him? Thanks!”
It was only after he left and one of the other supporting artists asked me what Alfred Molina wanted that I realised who I had been conversing with.
It was on this set that I also got to meet the marvellous Kenneth Cranham. I used to watch him on the telly in the long running Shine on Harvey Moon. He also just recently appeared with good effect in Hot Fuzz. He had a witty outlook on seemingly everything and everybody that day and I was in stitches. That was also the day where I found myself frozen silent when I found myself standing right next to the intimidating form of Brian Blessed.
I was watching them film Alfred and Kenneth in a crowd scene. I had just finished “playing” with a portable camera, a very heavy looking piece of equipment with what looked liked one half of a giant Q-tip attached front and back of the camera. I glanced at the chap who was operating it and said, “Rather you than me, mate.” He laughed and told me that despite being a bit on the heavy side, it was very non-taxing to operate. He offered to let me “have a go” and I did. He was right. It was so incredibly well balanced you did not notice the weight at all. It was after this that I had a scene with my “wife” strolling and looking in store front windows. We finished our bit, she disappeared and I stood to watch the rest of the film being made while waiting for my next bit.
I glanced out of the corner of my eye a bearded longer haired man standing next to me. I was pushed a bit closer to him and I suddenly realised that this bearded spectacle was none other than Brian Blessed. He of the magnificent voice and bigger than life personality. I instantly became a quivering school aged fan-boy. I looked into his face and started to say all the idiotic fan boy things that sprang immediately into my mind. He turned and looked right into my eyes with a fierce gaze that withered my unspoken words before they had even managed to leave my throat. I wrenched my head forward and didn’t even acknowledge his presence, for fear that I would fall under that fierce look again. I have heard from other folks that Mr Blessed is quite a nice chap. I guess that fierce gaze is how he looks at everything.
Writing this has helped me remember some other great folks I’ve met, auditioned for, and briefly worked for. I’ll have to write them down before I forget them again. So I guess I will be name dropping for a little while yet.
- Another Versatile Blogger Nomination?? (mikesfilmtalk.com)
- ‘Spider-Man’ (2002) vs ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ (2012) (houseofgeekery.com)
- Pinto, Molina, Ritchie sign on for ‘Dancer’ (variety.com)
- Green Goblin, Electro Are Among Andrew Garfield’s Favorite ‘Spider-Man’ Villains (splashpage.mtv.com)
- Elizabeth Banks Toplines WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH MARGIE?, Alfred Molina and Freida Pinto Star in DESERT DANCER, Sean Bean Joins the 4th REICH (collider.com)
- The Classical #25: What’s Hot In 2012 (sundancenow.com)